Fight For What's Yours
Resolving Elaborate International Divorce And Family Law Cases
Every country has a unique set of rules that govern divorce, financial matters and family law. If your divorce contains issues that span countries, you will need a lawyer who can professionally navigate the challenges.The attorneys at The Law Offices of Douglas Ray York, P.C., are highly experienced in complicated divorce cases, including those that involve multiple countries. Although we are based in Texas, our firm frequently assists clients with ties to the Middle East and other regions throughout the world. We offer sophisticated solutions for each case.
In Complicated Divorce Situations, Experience Matters
To file for divorce in Texas, you must have lived continuously within the state for at least six months. However, your case might still involve financial or personal interests in other countries. These cases are complex because multiple jurisdictions – and, therefore, multiple laws and procedures – are involved.
Circumstances that could lead to an international family law issue include:
- One spouse is not a U.S. citizen, or spouses have dual citizenship in another country.
- Marital assets are located in another country, such as in an offshore account or a foreign business.
- At least one spouse is living or traveling abroad during divorce.
- A custodial parent seeks to relocate to another country with their child.
- A parent brings their child overseas with them without permission from the court, which is referred to as parental kidnapping.
Due to the intricate nature of these cases, it is critical to entrust your case to an attorney who already has knowledge of how to approach it skillfully. Experience could mean avoiding serious problems – and likely fewer billable hours.
We understand how to coordinate with multiple legal systems to resolve divorce cases in Texas. With two board-certified family law attorneys on our team, The Law Offices of Douglas Ray York, P.C., can efficiently address the details of your case.